Monday, April 27, 2015

My True Color and Major





Image result for dental hygieneAfter taking The True Color Test on the Eureka website, I found out that my true color is blue. Blue describes the type of personality I have. According to the results, I am a caring, compassionate, and enthusiastic person. I am truly that person and I am one who tends to help out the community or give back to the community. The results from the test gave me a couple of majors to choose from and I chose to look at the major I am currently focused on. The major I am currently focused on is Dental Hygiene. I made a visit to the counselor Chris Jeffries after making an appointment online. She gave me advice on the classes I should be taking and gave me feedback on what dental hygiene was about and the school I can attend since El Camino does not have the Dental Hygiene program. During the meeting with the counselor I not only got help learning about Dental hygiene and my prerequisites, I also got to update my educational plan and got a better understanding of how much time I will be attending El Camino and when I will transfer out. Something that amazed me about this counselor was that she was quick but covered every detail and answered every question that I asked. She was very nebulous.  A dental hygienist is a great part of a dental office staff. For example, when a dentist can’t do a cleaning or teach the patient how to keep good oral hygiene, they can go to the dental hygienist because a dental hygienist is a great recourse to teach oral hygiene. In my opinion, a dental hygienist brings many positive things into someone’s life. One should appreciate a dental hygienist because just as a dentist, they keep you with a great smile. I find it interesting that not many people know what the occupation of a dental hygienist is.  Many people who I have told my major to are oblivious of that major. They tend to ask what it is. Speaking to the counselor gave me a brief understanding of the different classes I would have to take. She gave me advice on the classes I should take first. She helped me find out which classes were transferable and showed me how to find the classes that are transferable. She was really a great help because everything she told me was very clear and understandable.


 During my interview with dental hygienist and dental hygiene teacher at Cerritos College, Anne Nguyen I realized that dental hygiene is my goal. Dental hygiene is a goal I want to accomplish. Success for her was not making money, success for her was being happy with her career and the things she has achieved. Dr. Nguyen gave me a great understanding of what it is like to be a dental hygienist. The only negatives about this job were insurance benefits. There are many positive things about this career. It’s not only a good pay, but it has schedule flexibility and it is a great working environment. One thing that I admire from Dr. Nguyen is that even though she was working and had her daughter to take care of she was able to go back to school thanks to the schedule flexibility and received her masters in math. I want to be able to accomplish goals like she did and becoming a dental hygienist will help me accomplish many of my goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment